2022 was a productive year for writing, though I admit it wasn’t terribly successful. But every time we write, we learn something, yes? I can happily look back and say my writing has improved considerably over this past year, and I’m excited to see where it can go in 2023. If you want to see where most of my writing brain went this year, check out my work’s Instagram or Facebook – will be worth your time, promise.
Works in Progress
- The Ice Cream Truck (horror)
- Strange Inheritance (rom-com)
- Jed Felton’s Last Case (detective noir)
- Pilot Island (suspense)
As you can see, I’ve not nailed down a solid genre for myself quite yet.
Here’s a list of what I wrote and finished this year, where it went, and what the outcome was:
- Acute Rejection (theme: rejection) – Globe Soup – nothing
- Birth of the Kraken – NYC Midnight Micro Round 1 – moved to Round 2
- C is For… (theme: greed) – Globe Soup – nothing
- Aparkalypse – NYC Midnight Micro Round 2 – did not progress
- Nepeta Cataria (theme: cats) – Globe Soup – nothing
- Eternity: 1/5 Stars. Would Not Recommend (theme: darkness) – Globe Soup – nothing
- Speech on the Occasion (theme: metamorphosis) – Globe Soup – nothing
- Several six-word stories – Six Word Wonders – PENDING
- Less Than 1% (theme: children) – Globe Soup – nothing
This was a blow, really, because I always thought microfiction was my strong suit. Maybe not!
Short Story Contests
- The Chosen One – Globe Soup – longlisted
- A New Dress – Globe Soup – longlisted
- The Chosen One – Reedsy – nothing
- One Last Time – Globe Soup – nothing
- The Child Sidekick Program – Globe Soup – nothing
- Father’s Home – Globe Soup – honorable mention
Currently, I am shopping The Child Sidekick Program for publication because I’m very proud of it and think others would be entertained.
Here’s to a productive (and hopefully more successful) 2023!