Sometimes, my brain does not want to cooperate after I’ve asked it for four hundred other names of things: people, places, cults, whatever.
Generators are awesome for this exact thing. And maybe you won’t get the perfect idea, but I’ve found that generators are perfect for restarting my brain like one of those pull-to-start chainsaws.
So here is a list of my favorite name generators – I hope you’ll like them, too!
Generators from SeventhSanctum.com:
- Disease Names (Ancestral Fester!)
- Grimoire of Questionable Spells (Conceal Onion Dip, anyone?)
- A whole list of name generators (fantasy themes, pirate ships, evil folks, cat beings…)
- Envisioner (classic stories and legends… with a twist!)
Generators from FantasyNameGenerators.com
- Bookstore Names (Bound to Be Good? I love a pun.)
- Mongolian Death Worm Names (this is… very specific)
- Elizabethan Era Name Generator (first and last names!)
- Secret Society Names (The Society of Invincible Children has terrifying implications)
Other Generators I Like
- Reedsy’s Plot Generator (you can even lock the aspects you like)
- Behind the Name’s Name Generator (can filter by origin)
- TV Tropes’ Story Generator (get tropes for settings, plots, villains, etc.)
- Roll for Fantasy’s Culture Generator (the same person who does Fantasy Name Generators)
- Chaotic Shiny’s Superstition Generator (See a mushroom? Your relationship is toast.)
I hope some of these lead to some great ideas for you. Let me know if you get inspired.